Eggplant and Beef Bolognese

I promise I love Tex-Mex :) I just cook Italian way more frequently.

Eggplant and Beef Bolognese
Donna Hay - Apr/May 2009

400g pappardelle pasta
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 eggplant, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
500g beef mince
2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup basil leaves
240g bocconcini, torn (oops)

Cook the pasta in a saucepan of salted, boiling water for 10-12 minutes or until al dente. Drain and keep warm.

Heat the oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Add the eggplant and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes or until golden. Add the beef and cook, breaking up any lumps with a wooden spoon, for 5 minutes or until browned. Add the tomato and cook for 5 minutes or until thickened. Add the pasta and toss to combine. Top with basil and bocconcini to serve. Serves 4.


My hand-picked olive oil from Hugo winery that I got this weekend in the Fleurieu. This is the most expensive bottle of oil I've sprung for since living in Italy, and it's fantastic! (Less than 20 dollars.) But I still have my gigantic EVOO for general cooking.
The bolognese.... mmm beef.

Finished product: I forgot to tear the cheese. I didn't like this basil at all... I got too used to my cinnamon basil from my herb garden, but the caterpillars are back so I had to use store bought. Ah well. Still delicious. This recipe makes quite a lot of pasta...

Comments

boozy.susie said…
WOW! this looks awesome!

Popular Posts