Vegemite, Marmite, and Vegemite Cheesybite

I love them all.

I fell in love with Marmite in 2004 when I studied in England for a year. I tend to get really excited about foods that I know a large portion of the population hates the taste of. So of course, I went and got some marmite and it was love. So much so that I would occasion to wander around my boyfriend's English university asking his house mates if they wanted to have some marmite toast with me. Surprisingly, the answer was usually no, with the excuse that they didn't actually like marmite! (Thus demonstrating the love or hate drama with the product in the U.K.)


This relationship is not rivaled in Australia, with most Australians actually liking Vegemite. At least most that I have met save one investment banker who spoke of his detest while his colleagues made toast with Vegemite on top every morning in the office. So much Vegemite toast that I, as the mail room clerk and general office minion, had to go pick up 4-5 loaves of bread each morning for the month that I worked there. (Rest assured that if you do your investment banking through Macquarie that your money is being handled by well-fed and well-dressed men and women who shall never lack for a cookie or a bite of toast.)

My love of marmite was once extended to the point that I made a marmite recipe. Marmite pasta to be precise. With a simple, yet flavorsome sauce of only butter and marmite. Hey, I was a college student, and it beats Ramen. Plus, it's more worldly.


This photo was taken while I was having my wedding makeup done. Our photographer found one of the 10 jars of Vegemite my husband brought with us to Hawaii to share with our American guests, and decided it would make a nice photo. Surprisingly, none of our guests would even taste the Vegemite due to it's smell. Fortunately the rations were used up by the Australian guests who had neglected to bring their own supply, and took delight when they learned of our stash. Tim Tams (which I detest!) were much more popular with our American guests.


Regarding the latest edition of the yeasty extract family, Vegemite Cheesybite (as newly christened): this stuff is delicious! It's actually reawakened my yeast extract desires. (Is that a weird sentence?) I can really give or take Vegemite, but this 2.0 version I crave. It's creamier, cheesier, more like Marmite, and a bit less harsh than the original.

And yes, I have considered the fact that I may have a B vitamin or folate deficiency, but I'm cool with that.

Comments

Arizaphale said…
Ah the great isnack/cheesybite scandal and the great marmite/vegemite love/hate saga.
(How many more forward slashes could one use in one sentence?)
I am disappointed but not surprised that your wussy US friends would not try Vegemite. Any country that puts cheese in a spray can has serious food issues. Us Aussies on the other hand will delight in going to other countries and eating their most disturbing fare. Snails. Chicken feet. Raw fish.
(actually, I never could actually come at eating chicken feet...I don't like food that 'flexes' at me)....
All Hail Ye Mighty Vegemite.
Suzer said…
Mmmmmm cheese in a can...cheese whiz, yummmmmy!
Suzer said…
P.S. How can you hate Tim Tams!!!!
DanYells said…
I don't think anyone actually eats the cheeze in a can do they?
Maya said…
I still haven't tried Vegemite, I am not a toast person and doubt it would go with my rolled oats and yogurt.
I have agree with Suzer, how can you hate Tim Tams. It's the only non-homemade cookie I let my husband have!
DanYells said…
Maya - I don't often eat Vegemite for breakfast, usually as a late night snack :) Tim Tams will do in a chocolate emergency but I find them really dry and strange. They look nice and luscious and chocolaty but they are just... too dry to me, and don't seem to benefit from dunking much either, unlike my beloved Oreo. :)
Cassie Jean said…
I don't understand. Vegemite?
A Free Man said…
How can one detest Tim Tams? I'm not a fan of vegemite or marmite, they both smell like the media that we use to grow bacteria in the lab. Not interested. But the New Vegemite marketing campaign annoys me. Reminds me of New Coke. But you're probably too young to remember that particular flop.
DanYells said…
AFM - I liken the smell of them to a strong cheese. Kinda gross, but kinda intriguing.

Popular Posts