Baby Back Ribs

For starters, this picture is not mine. It's from a blog called Black Tie, White Lie. I tried to roughly approximate what my ribs looked like, because unfortunately they were eaten before I could take any pictures. I will update with one of mine when I make them again.

This isn't really a recipe so much as a method....
time warning:it does involve overnight marinating

American:
2 pounds pork baby back ribs
1 x 18 oz bottle barbecue sauce

Australian:
1 kilo of American style ribs
500 ml bbq sauce

For the bbq on Saturday I doubled this recipe for 4 lbs (or 2 kilos) and that was 3 long strips of ribs. If I made it for just me and hubs I would do the 2 lb version.

I recommend the aluminum foil baking/bbqing dishes for this because it's very messy.

1. Trim the ribs if necessary.
2. Remove the membrane from the underside of the ribs. (The bone side.) Do this by taking a knife or other object and inserting underneath the membrane on one end of the ribs until a little bit comes lose. You should be able to grab hold of it and carefully peel off the whole membrane in one sheet. Apparently the membrane is impermeable to sauces, rubs, smoke, etc. and also becomes tough when cooked so it's best to remove it.
3. I would recommend a dry rub to add to your ribs before you sauce... but I skipped this step for my first time making ribs. Here is an example recipe, you can mix and match from these ingredients.
4. Slather with sauce! Don't use the whole bottle(s) because you'll want to re-sauce while baking and after. But be generous!

I used 2 sauces for my 3 strips.
From Chili Mojo's: Road House Original Recipe Bar-B-Que Sauce. 1 bottle in 18 oz size.
(150% recommended it was delicious and chunky!)
From Golden Grove Village fruit and veggie area: Beerenberg Smoky Bourbon Sauce & Marinade. (Good option as well nice smoky flavor.) I used 2 x 300 ml bottles of this.


5. Marinate at least 8 hours. I marinated overnight in aluminum dish covered tightly with foil.
6. Preheat oven to 300 F or 150C. You don't want your oven to be much hotter than this so watch it. :)
7. Bake ribs for 2.5 hours. After 1 hour I took them out, flipped the ribs, sauced the undersides, and baked upside down for 1 hour. Then I returned to meat-side-up for the last 30 minutes.
8. Take the aluminum foil off the top and put under the broiler/grill for 10 or so minutes to get a nice gooey crispy finish to the ribs.

enjoy!

Comments

Suzer said…
This is for sure my new ribs recipe. Well worth the extra effort!!!
A Free Man said…
Hi there from another American expat in Adelaide!

I always have to make my own barbecue sauce because the Aussie ones aren't smoky and mustardy enough for me - I go for Carolina style BBQ.
DanYells said…
Hi A Free Man!

What do you put in your sauces?

I'm no bbq sauce connoisseur, but I did really enjoy the sauce from Chili Mojo (made in the U.S.)

I also got some liquid smoke from C.M. that I want to add to the sauce next time. I've never worked with it before but it smells amazing.

Popular Posts