Smoked Salmon

Two recipes today!

Both Donna Hay :) And yes, I do have other cook books, but... I'm on a Donna Hay kick. She pretty much just rocks. (Well her and her kitchen and staff!)

Creamy Scrambled Eggs with Smoked Salmon
Donna Hay Magazine - Issue 44 Apr/May 2009

4 free-range eggs
1/2 cup (125 ml) single (pouring) cream
sea salt and cracked black pepper
20 g butter
200 g sliced smoked salmon or trout
toasted sourdough or rye bread, to serve

Place the eggs, cream and salt in a bowl and whisk well to combine. Melt the butter in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the egg mixture and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes or until just set. Serve with salmon and bread and sprinkle with pepper. Serves 4. For extra flavour add finely grated parmesan or fine herbs, such as dill or chives, to the egg mixture or drizzle over truffle oil to serve.


Wow this was yummy. I've never made scrambled eggs like this before (meaning with cream in the eggs, and butter in the pan.) I actually substituted thick cream and some milk instead of single cream. They were so delicious and creamy. Low in fat... they were not. But this is more of a treat than a healthy breakfast.

Smoked Salmon & Avocado Enchiladas
Donna Hay- No Time to Cook

4 small flour tortillas
1/3 cup (80g) sour cream
8 slices (200 g) smoked salmon
1/2 avocado, sliced
100g watercress sprigs
1/3 cup flatleaf parsley leaves
1/2 cucumber, sliced
2 green onions (scallions), sliced
2 tablespoons lime juice
sea salt and cracked black pepper

Warm tortillas in a warm oven, microwave or toaster until heated through. Spread with the sour cream and top with salmon. Toss together the avocado, watercress, parsley, cucumber, onion, lime juice, salt and pepper. Spoon the salad mixture over the salmon. Roll tortillas to enclose the filling and serve. Serves 2.

This was delicious! I was (as usual!) unsure about the smoked salmon. I can't recall ever trying it, but I just thought it might be a bit strange, probably because it's eaten cold/semi-room temp. It was actually really nice. The lime juice added an unexpected tang to the salad part, and I substitude a bag of washed mixed salad leaves for watercress since I couldn't find any. After I made this I had smoked salmon leftover the next day, thus the scrambled eggs from above. :) The avocado was perfectly ripe so I added almost all of it instead of half.


Comments

Suzer said…
It's 10 and now I am hungry. I never thought of putting cream in scrambled eggs...so bad, yet so yum sounding.

Popular Posts