Chicken & Sweetcorn Soup

Or: I poached a chicken for the first time, and it had no flavor.

The soup itself was really nice due to the corn and leek, but the chicken lacked flavor. I'm guessing that's because A) it was chicken breast which is pretty lean, and B) I accidentally used vegetarian chicken-LIKE gourmet chicken stock instead of the real deal. (Hey I had it in the pantry, and figured the other flavors could carry off the soup. They did, but the chicken flavor was just a bit lacking.) I would make again but probably with a bbq-ed chicken instead.



Serves 4-5 I'd say.

50g butter
2 leeks, washed and sliced
1 liter good-quality chicken stock
Kernels of 3 fresh corn cobs
2 chicken breast fillets (500g total), left whole
salt & black pepper
Handful fried shallots (in a jar, or fry yourself before the rest of the recipe), to garnish
1 red chili, seeded and sliced, to garnish
fresh coriander to garnish
crusty bread, to serve

1. Melt the butter in saucepan, add leeks and cook for about 3 mins until softened. (If you look in your pan and think "damn that's a lot of leek," you're on the right track, they will soften right down.) Add stock and bring to boil.
2. Add corn and chicken to pan and cook over gentle heat for about 10 mins, poaching chicken until cooked through. Remove chicken from pan and set aside on plate.
3. Blend soup, leaving some chunky pieces for texture if you like. Return soup to pan. Shred chicken with your fingers and return to pan. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with fried shallots, chili and coriander. Serve with crusty bread.

Comments

Arizaphale said…
I always love the idea of chicken breasts because they require no filleting and minmal gristle removal...but the taste is always a disappointment....
suzinoz said…
My MIL makes this soup and it's yummy. Kids love it. Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier. You obviously like to cook. Have you ever visited this blog:
http://homesicktexan.blogspot.com/
She's got some great Tex-Mex recipes and if you are like me, you MISS Tex-Mex something awful.
DanYells said…
suzinoz- I LOVE her blog so much! I've tried to make the queso from scratch from her blog but it's just not as good as getting it in Texas for some reason. I love her pictures and stories though. god I haven't been home in almost 2 years, I'm in severe Tex-Mex withdrawal!
suzinoz said…
Oh, you really need to get back to Texas for a proper Tex-Mex fix! We spend about 6 weeks there every year and my husband and I eat Tex-Mex almost exclusively during that period...when we aren't at Whataburger that is! =) Then we come back to Oz and behave ourselves for another year until we can over indulge in the Tex Mex again. Honestly, after my family and friends it's the thing I miss the most--that and hearing and speaking Spanish.

Popular Posts