Tiramisu and Chicken, Eggplant and Avocado sandwich

I have been living off of lite n easy for 3 weeks now, due to time-poorness and exhaustion but this weekend I was a teeny bit motivated to make something that was more involved than using a microwave (but not by much.)

First, the sandwich:


From bottom up:
Toasted Bread
Baby Spinach
Grilled eggplant (with evoo, salt and pepper)
BBQ'd chicken
Avocado
Aioli on other side of bread.

Then, Tiramisu:



I used, of course, Donna Hay's recipe.

Unfortunately the mascarpone I like is $5 a tub and the recipe called for 2 tubs, and I just couldn't justify it so I tried to use one. I think it would have been better with 2, but it was still nice.

Total cost of dessert: $18.74
$5.00 mascarpone
$1.59 for thick cream
$3.15 sponge cake
$2.50 shot of espresso
$6.50 tiny Kahlua
Free chocolate in the pantry

Expensive but I made 4 servings and 1 serving cost 13.50 at the restaurant we went to on Saturday. (Gusto at Norwood, delizioso food, but I couldn't fit in a tiramisu because we were on our way to see Shutter Island at 9:20 pm... night owls!)

Tiramisu is one of my favorite desserts, topped only by my dad's black bottom pie, and this recipe could definitely be improved. Will continue the search for a perfect make-at-home version.



Comments

Arizaphale said…
Sounds good...but what is 'black bottom pie'? Sounds intriguing!
DanYells said…
Here is a picture of my dad's black bottom pie:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_M9e4o48p5pU/S0J-apybpxI/AAAAAAAAARI/4WxmG7Ba4SQ/s1600-h/IMG_4135.JPG

It is a pie made of three layers: (from the bottom) black chocolate custard/ganache, then a creamy rum custard layer, finally a thick layer of hand-made whipped cream.

Our version is from the Joy of Cooking. I've made it a few times but I call it "my dad's" because it is so laborious that I prefer him to make it for me!

This recipe looks almost exact: http://marriedwithdinner.com/2008/04/18/a-slice-of-life/

Popular Posts