It's 15 minutes till Midnight on a Monday

and I'm home alone so... I started to clean "the back bedroom."

Contents of a backpack I last used on my trip to move to Australia: Euro coins, English pence, and American pennies, tampons with applicators (an unheard of amenity over here, ok they do have them but they come in gigantic grandma (read: not cool) containers and they have cardboard applicators so I don't buy them), an assortment of 15 pens and mechanical pencils from a time when I used to study, a plug used to convert U.K appliances to European, a clock from my dad that has the world time zones on it and "go army", a long lost necklace from a German bazaar, and a broken luggage lock.

Sad times it was. Normally I see all this crap and it doesn't phase me but today it's a bit different. I've lived here for a year and a half .... and that has kind of been my maximum limit per country for..... 8 years? let's see:

11th and 12 grade- Germany
first year uni -London
second year uni- rural Illinois (a country of it's own, really, surrounded by a sea of corn and filled with people I like to refer to as "midwesterns in the mist" (see: Diane Fossey's Gorilla's in the Mist to get an idea of how I felt living there)
third year uni- Italy
last year uni- Illinois
Age 22-23 - Australia

time for a change!!!!

Maybe this has something to do with the fact that I just watched Vicky Christina Barcelona tonight and it reminded me of when I went there with a group of good friends and roommates. (And by "went there" I don't mean that we had a threesome with some Javier, I mean "traveled to Barcelona".) Not that Barcelona is a particularly amazing town, no offense, but I loved Southern Spain with Sevilla and Jerez way more. But that was because I had my own personal tour guide who is Spanish (well, half anyway, his dad was American) and showed me all the great places to go to and where to eat :) Thanks Thomas!

I've been a little down on myself for thinking that Europe is the center of the world for a while now, but I just met someone here who thinks America is where it's at, and that kind of put it in perspective for me. Also, Thomas from Spain, which I long considered the most perfect place in the world to live, (HELLO siestas!) now lives in Turkey with his girlfriend. When we went to college together in London, he would always lament how he wished he lived in Germany (where I spent my summers at home with my parents) and I would talk about how I wanted to live in Sevilla.

I think some of us just want to explore. Here's to hoping I get to see and do most of what I'd like to....

Comments

A Free Man said…
Nice post. Sounds like you're suffering from an acute case of wanderlust. I don't mean to be negative, because I really like Adelaide. It's a great place for me - good place to raise a family etc. But if I were 23? Well, I'd be itching bad. They don't call it Dadelaide for nothing.

Hope you can find what you're looking for.
DanYells said…
Adelaide is great. It's got most of what I like in a city; nice markets, isn't a big pain to get around, good people, some pretty views. It is a bit disappointing that they speak English though... :)
Suzer said…
Dude if it was 11:45pm and my hubs wasn't home yet, I'd be thinking what a hole this place is too;)
Arizaphale said…
Go travelling and use Adelaide as home base. Bingo. Best of both worlds!
bikebali said…
It’s so nice site. We love to see more on this site. Keep on updating… MonkAreRee Bali ***cfgbftj

Popular Posts