Sometimes Ugly Things are Really Tasty or: Rosemary-Roasted Chicken with Beetroot and Feta

2 x 200g chicken breast fillets, trimmed
1 x 450g can whole baby beetroots, drained
1/4 cup rosemary leaves
500g pumpkin, thinly sliced
1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
200g feta, crumbled
1 bunch rocket (arugula) leaves
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar

Preheat oven to 220C (425F). Place the chicken, beetroot, rosemary, pumpkin and 2 tablespoons oil in a baking dish and toss to combine. Roast for 20 minutes or until the chicken is golden and cooked through. Slice the chicken and beetroot and place in a bowl with the pumpkin, remaining oil, feta, rocket and vinegar and toss to combine. Serves 4.

YUM. Unfortunately, the looks are a bit lacking... because the chicken was stained by the beetroot, but I still wanted to put this up so I remember to make it again, but maybe next time I will use golden beetroot (as mother-in-law suggested :) ) or just try to keep it seperated from the chicken. Simple, quick, tasty, and I felt like I was eating some nutrients.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Suzer said…
I shouldn't look at yummy things I can't eat right now:/
A Free Man said…
I can't get into beetroot, or Vegemite for that matter. Or meat pies.

Australian cuisine isn't exactly the finest in the world, is it?

Lots of good Asian food here, though!
DanYells said…
AFM- I'm trying to find this Bill Bryson quote on how the French almost "discovered" Australia first and nearly saved it from 2 centuries of British cuisine... but I can't find it :( You get the drift though!

Scarily enough I actually like beetroot, Vegemite, and meat pies. I got into the yeast extracts with marmite in England, and was quite surprised when not many English shared my enthusiasm for it. It's just so tangy and weird! I considered it like a tart black cheese spread lol. And plus, I hear it's illegal to import Vegemite to the states, all the more reason to love it. :)

Beetroot and home-made mayo sandwich, can do, but Vegemite,ketchup and cheese sandwich is a line I'm just not willing to cross.

Suzer- Is chewing at all uncomfortable, or is it mostly in the front to bite into things? Because if you cut this dish up into bite-sized pieces I think it might be manageable :) Especially with THIN pumpkin, it's very soft :)
Laura said…
I love beetroot-- it makes a great addition to brownies too!
DanYells said…
oh in brownies!! that sounds interesting I will have to try it, let me know if you have a recipe :)

Popular Posts