Mexican Polenta Stuffed Peppers



I picked these as my "tricky/time-consuming" recipe for the weekend, only to discover they are actually easy and quick enough to do on a weeknight! When I brought one to work for lunch everyone though I was a culinary wizz because of their delightfull looks. huzzah.


Serves 4 to 6.

5 large bell peppers (any color)
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
sprinkling of salt

Polenta
4 cups water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 cup polenta cornmeal
1 1/2 cups corn kernels
1 tablespoon olive oil or butter
1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup chopped spanish olives

Salsa
1 16-ounce jar of your favorite salsa
1 15-ounce can of black beans, drained
1/4 cup chopped cilantro (optional)

Preheat oven to 450ºF. Cut the peppers in half lengthwise and remove the seeds, but leave the stem ends on so the peppers will hold their shape (whoops, I forgot this part). Brush the pepper halves with oil, inside and out, and sprinkle lightly with salt. Place cut-side up on an oiled baking sheet and roast in the oven until tender but still holding their shape, about 15 minutes.

While the peppers roast, in a heavy saucepan, bring the water, salt, and red pepper flakes to a boil. Add the polenta in slow, steady stream while whisking. Cook on medium heat, stirring often, until thickened. Stir in the corn, oil or butter, 1 cup of cheese, and the olives. Remove from the heat. (I put the olives on the side to avoid complaints!)

Fill the roasted pepper halves with the polenta mixture. Sprinkle the tops with the remaining cheese and return to the oven for 5 to 10 minutes, until the cheese is melted. Meanwhile, combine the salsa, black beans, and cilantro in a saucepan and bring to a simmer.

Comments

Daniela said…
My parents would love this recipe - I should make it for them one night. I'm not a fan of polenta, but my family loves it. They usually have it with rabbit.... but my mom made a different kind of polenta a few weeks ago in hopes that I'd enjoy it, and I did! It had vegetables on top of it and it made the polenta more bareable to eat - it's just dry and grainy and there's not a great taste to it. I have to find the recipe and post it for you so you can try it.

Would you make this recipe again?
DanYells said…
polenta with rabbit, yum! I don't make polenta that often, I should do more it's so easy to make and I like the taste.

dry and grainy?! use butter! (or evoo) it's lovely and moist.

yeah I definitely would make these again it was great to bring to work and re-heat for lunch as well :)

Popular Posts