Risotto Bianco Con Pesto

white risotto with pesto

Recipe from Jamie Oliver's Jamie's Italy


While it cooking was in my "big orange miscellaneous pot"



Finished cooking, but before lovely garnishes (the green bits are celery)



Topped with freshly made pesto, lightly warmed pine nuts, baby basil leaves, and freshly grated Parmesan.

Review:

So I write this with a slightly cheese-addled and starched out brain. I enjoyed making this, but it took much much longer than expected, even though I've made this before. I had just mentally blocked out quite how long Jamie's version of risotto takes. I much prefer Donna Hay's (stick some arborio rice, mushrooms, prosciutto, butter, stock, etc into a baking dish, cover with foil, stick in oven, and out pops PERFECT risotto.) Oliver's version is much more labor intensive. It probably takes about the same amount of time (45 minutes to bake a risotto I think) but with this one there is considerably more labor. AKA stirring. for 45 minutes.

I did enlist the husband to help me chop the 1 large onion and half a head of celery. I don't think he could help himself when he saw my carefully applied house-wife for a week mascara streaming down my face from the onion. Ten minutes later, however, he was having a tanty over our lack of kitchen space so I kicked him out and I finished it up.

Deliciousness: 8

I think I need to figure out a way to combine Jamie's gourmet-ness (the freshly made pesto, with mortar and pestle, my FAV, and the 2 wine glasses of dry vermouth added before the stock) with Donna's easier method.

Comments

Popular Posts